Monday, December 22, 2008

Question to Oneself.

The questions that I asked myself, mostly about the "gaming trends" in Malaysia. I know that some foreigner readers would like to ask.

How's Malaysia gaming trend?
What is the most popular game in Malaysia?
Are games updated in Malaysia?
Where and What is Malaysia? (joking and for the one who never knew, it's ok .. WIKIPEDIA baby XD.)
Does Malaysia made their own game? ( this is the type of question that makes you place a palm on your own face.)

I will answer every question that I can imagine to satisfy your curiosity and to spread the gaming culture of Malaysians. Note that some facts will hurt. But you must know I have no intention of hurting anyone nor flaming any Malaysians in this post.
I am just stating the facts. And I do not represent any Malaysians =_=. It's just me..and me..
If I somehow offended you, I apologize or If you still find I am offensive. Here is a quote best-suited for you.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde.

Okay back to reality.

Question 1. What is the most popular game in Malaysia?
When you first enter ANY CyberCafes in Kuala Lumpur, our capital city. And as soon as you set your eyes upon any PC, the game will be DoTA.

Believe it or not, at least 8 out 10 Malaysians played DoTA.

Question 2. When did DoTA became super famous in Malaysia?
Seriously, I have no idea. I would say when the 5.84c era, when I was form 3 or form 4 (2003 or 2004). These were the times that my friends spend thousands of hours in CC if I am right.

Question 3. Do I think it is a good game?Do I play?
Yes, DoTA is a good game. But not my type, I am not a micro person ( being able to control single hero movement and flanking heroes). I am a strategist that deploys tactics and maneuvers with huge amount of units rushing through the map. (Macro person ;D )

But...I am sadly to say that Malaysian players, most of them but not all of them. Has a very low-valued ethic which ruins the sensation of the game. Cursing, banging mouses, keyboards, shouting when one's losing, shouting when one's winning. Sometimes the game went so bad, fighting occured. Mostly on teenagers 15-18, young adults doesn't care much.

And most of the players, really have no idea what is DOTA's genre.
You can say it's strategy but it's not cause it involves a role. You can say it's role-playing but it involves too much strategy. So.....anyways is a good game xD lol.

Question 4. Second most popular game?
MMORPG Rules Malaysia besides from DoTA. Yes. It is true... sad but true. Believe it or not, epic titles like RO, Maplestory, and those XXonline, YYonline, ZZonline. First thinking that comes to mind, Malaysian must be rich. Trust me, they are not. Malaysia dominating online games are mostly F2P. F2P involves buying an virtual item in the game with pure cash. So, no monthly subscription fee.

I had to admit there was a time I played these F2p servers but... I stopped. I found out it was retarded and pointless, console and PC games were more better.
And you will seriously puke electricity out of your mouth if you saw one of the online games available in Malaysia. And not to mention our beloved one and only over-all-time most STABLE ISP (Internet Service Provider), Streamyx that has been giving us "GOOD" connection and "EPIC" services throughout the first day of Broadband era. Streamyx....Strip My Nuts!

MMORPG is a nightmare in Malaysia. I even had troubling remembering their names. There really just too many, the concepts, the skills, the grinding, the quest, oh my god.... it kills the originality. So far, RO and WoW is enough.

Are Malaysian aware of upcoming games?
Lowyat, Lau--yi-at ( the malaysia Electric City XD, which what I called) is 24/7 updated on games upcoming release game. So yes, majority Malaysians do know the upcoming games but they still rather DoTA/MMORPG. Even if they migrated to US, they will still DoTA...
You have to understand, DoTA is like Badminton in Malaysia. Where we only pump one type of game and neglect the other.

Question 5. Are there any potentially good games that will overthrow the DoTA's dominancy in Malaysia?

Yes, there is. Call of Duty World At War, Left 4 Dead, COD 4 Modern Warfare. Epic Console game series like God of War, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid online, Fifa online. They are lot seriously, it's just that Malaysian don't quite fancy versatility. If you are good in DotA or CS, concentrates on it, that is the Malaysian way. Which I found rather hard to accept.

Eventually I pity them because they don't know what game they are missing out there. Frog in the well. In this case, gamers in the grotto. That is why Malaysian gamers hardly improved. But, CS was once so hot right? It was overthrow by DoTA. I wonder what game will overthrow DoTA

Question 6. Gaming in your point of view is?
Gaming is the most enjoyable moment, it shares experience, culture(especially language wise and behaviour.), and technology.
Gaming is science. Gaming have nature's principles apply to it, the way how one human behave, their feelings, their experience, their movement when they are playing a game. And then, technology was applied to the games, physcis, laws, and numbers were added to the element. So, in other words, it's science.

Question 7.How is the Media's Gaming Industry in Malaysia?
To be frank, not doing very well. Take a look at the PC GAMER Malaysia Edition. The contents were direct copy paste of the UK version, which already loses on orginality. Reviewers and writers(Malaysian) in the magazine wrote game reviews about online games and mobile games. Oh come on... I know sponsors were giving you a hard time, but stop writing mobile games, online games that no one bothers to play. *Reads at PC Gamer...mobile game reviews* oh my god....

Huh, it's 3 AM.. one helluva post. If you had any more further question you can leave a comment. For this time. Game On.

3 comments:

Benjamin C. said...

ok i have to admit.

i played DOTA through my SPM examination days. Right after the paper. i mean EVERY PAPER.

very sweet post on malaysian gaming culture.

cursing, keyboard banging, mouse flying...
whao, you reminded me how i broke my first mouse.
*i think it was a logitech with mouse ball.

btw, i accept your proposal in shooting pics of gamers in cybercafes. this oughta be fun :D

Ziwen said...

Eh thanks, but it is not easy you know. Will have a chance to kena drive out by the CC's guard. Unless we ask for permission but fat chance will be agree. Unless free advertisement lol

Benjamin C. said...

diu...

use my approach in handling this kinda matter.

'DO FIRST, ASK LATER'

or else if ask sure tak boleh one.
which cc you want to shoot :D